Recently, I've been making projects, trying to fill up my portfolio. One project I really wanted to make was a URL shortener.
Honestly, I thought it would be a lot harder. But I was able to break it down into a few easy steps:
- Allow user to submit a URL
- Create a unique identifier for the URL
- Save that identifier and URL to a database
- Show the user their new, shortened URL with the identifier.
- Redirect user if they go to the new URL, by getting the URL from the database.
That might not have been the best explanation, but you can check out mine here.
The only problem is, the URL is long. WAY too long.
See, I wanted to put a custom domain, url.qwerty.obl.ong to be specific, but just when I wanted to, admin.obl.ong went down, so I couldn't get it. That's actually the same reason I don't have a custom domain for this blog yet.
If you found this article helpful, please subscribe (it's free!) and share my blog with others.